Tuesday, June 13, 2017

STUFF

It all began when my wife and I decided to set monthly goals each year, one of which was to get rid of at least one item every day of the month.  The reason? 
I have too much shit.  Don’t we all?  I mean, I’m not a hoarder or anything, and I am organized enough that some people might think I have a slight case of OCD.  I collect comics, coins, books, steins, pint glasses, vinyl records and more.  Besides our own furniture I have four generations of stuff from my family; my grandfather’s WWII medals, my grandmother’s silverware and china, all the family pics; you get my point.  The list goes on and on...
Most of the STUFF sits around to collect dust or is stored away in drawers and boxes.  Very little of it is utilized in any meaningful way.  So when I started to get rid of a lot of things a weight felt lifted. 
Moving sales, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, EBay, Goodwill; there is no shortage of places to sell or give away your possessions.  Looking back, I cannot think of one item that I regret giving away or selling.  In fact, I continue to get rid of more and more, especially since we will be traveling with no permanent home. 
Yes, many of my possessions hold sentimental value; a book from my mother, my dad’s old Yankee’s hat, my first report card, a card made by my daughter. But how many of those things do I really need?  The time I have spent throughout my life rummaging through generations of items that were not even mine!  How many minutes or hours, even days have accumulated, time which I could have spent pursuing other interests? 
I dare not do the same to my children.  Sure, I will keep a few things of deep sentimental value and for items that are useful, but I cannot even begin to express how liberating this ‘purge’ has been for the mind and soul. Even deleting the endless emails that I have stored away in folders and subfolders has been cathartic!  My digital footprint may be larger than my actual footprint.  Some of the emails and documents have not been viewed in years!

George Carlin nailed it perfectly:

No comments:

Post a Comment