Friday, August 18, 2017

Ask My Daughters...




Ask my daughters, Sofiah and Kaia, what they love most about traveling and without hesitation they will reply,
“The hotels with swimming pools and free breakfasts!” 
It’s true, they are seeing some of the most majestic sites this country offers and sometimes they are impressed, but when it comes down to it, jumping from bed to bed and a continental breakfast with sausage and three types of cereal to choose from cannot be beat.  Kids do not appreciate the same things as adults.
Yet traveling opens their minds and gives them firsthand experiences that cannot be measured, at least immediately.  So often my wife and I spit out facts or tell them a story or interrupt their play to show them a breathtaking piece of scenery.  They respond with a nod or an “OK” or even with a frustrated remark.  Then we get irritated, of course, because we cannot believe they are missing out on something that in our mind is so important.  How could they?
Because they are children.  Once upon a time we all were and we had other things on our mind as well.  I didn’t have the opportunity to travel as frequently, but I remember my mother trying to ‘educate’ me about my surroundings and pointing out this and that.  I could have cared less if it didn’t relate to Star Wars or Spider-Man. Yet looking back, I remember quite a bit of what my parents said to me, more than I care to admit sometimes. 
And suddenly one of my daughters will make a comment or regurgitate something I told them when I thought they weren’t listening.  It may be while they are playing.  It may be when a ranger speaks to them or sometimes just out of the blue.  What I love even more is when they discuss things they picked up on their own: differences in weather, people, landscapes or sometimes things I haven’t noticed.  
Kids seem to soak up information like a sponge.  Their minds are naturally curious and passionate to learn.  So whether I think they are listening or not, I will continue to ‘educate’ them. Even if they take just a fraction of what they learn with them into the future, I think they will appreciate and respect the world and others around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment