Saturday, October 28, 2017

On Roadschool...



“How hard can it be?  I have been teaching for over 15 years.”

              This is what I told myself as I began reading a number of education books, including a few homeschool and unschooling books.  Truthfully, I was nervous as hell.  All the typical questions crossed my mind.  What about socialization?  Can I teach them what they need to know?  Will they fall behind in certain subjects? 

From the experience of teaching at a diverse, academically challenging, and prestigious school, I realized from the beginning that I could never outmatch the number of talented teachers and resources available at such an institution.  Yet I still felt the experiences and opportunities of traveling would shape the mind of my daughters in a unique manner and in many ways put them ahead of other children.

              But all of those books I read failed to tell me what the future held, mostly because those parents are still in the process of homeschooling.  Did their kids turn out successful?  In what way?  How can we know as adults and parents if we are making the right decisions?  We have no crystal ball and we all want the best for our children.  How do we even measure success? 

Over the course of my teaching career I have met many students that came from homeschooling environments.  Most of them adapted well socially and academically.  Many of the kids were on par or even more astute in the classroom.  They thought outside of the box, from a different angle than other kids. 

What I would have given for the opportunity to endlessly travel as a child!  Globetrotting all over the world and spending time with my parents, witnessing the beauty of our country and others, so vast and with endless adventures.  My vacations as a child consisted of a trip to Biloxi Beach, MS.  A couple of times we were lucky enough to visit Disney World.  Most people do not travel far from their homes yet there is so much to see, so much to behold and experience. 



Will my daughters feel the same way I do about travel when they are older?  Will they appreciate this experience I feel is a gift or will they resent me forever?  Will they become better stewards of the earth, appreciate nature more, and develop a unique mindset most others will never possess? Will these travels give them an edge?

So many unanswered questions.  Time will tell, and I can only hope for the best.  But for the present (which is my preferred state of mind) I will enjoy the ride…

No comments:

Post a Comment