Thursday, April 5, 2018

First Impression of Bend, Oregon


As soon as I opened the car door I could smell the cedar and pine trees. A bit cold, a chill passed through my body. After spending time in southern California and our recent travels near the Caribbean waters of Belize we were spoiled. But the change in temperature was welcome as I breathed the crisp, clean air. I had noticed the cleanliness of the city as we searched for our new place. 

               Our neighborhood seems quiet, and we are only a block away from the Deschutes River.  In the few days we have been here we have walked to it every day.  A large park with a playground runs alongside the river as far as I can see.  The space is part of the Old Mill District, a former area of town occupied by two mills but transformed into a public space with shops, an amphitheater, breweries and more. A trail system runs from the park and connects to the wilderness.

               Views of the mountains can be seen all around and many of them are covered in snow.  Not sure how I will adjust to waking up to freezing temperatures in April, but otherwise, we have found an awesome place to spend the next few months...

No comments:

Post a Comment